Freezer Pleasers | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Freezer Pleasers

Last post Feb 03, 2009 5:47 PM by Amy T. . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Freezer Pleasers

I recently got my first issue of S&D.  The two freezer pleaser recipes in the Jan/Feb 2009 issue were wonderful! (One pan for dinner tonight and another to put in the freezer for later.)  Is this in every issue?  If so, I'd love to see a "Freezer Pleaser" section on your website for all of us busy parents so we can search the archives for what we've been missing.

False
  • Re: Freezer Pleasers

I usually only post on Recipes, but your post caught my eye. I don't subscribe to that magazine, but would love to see some freezer pleaser recipes. Since you have 2 that are tried and true, would you mind posting the recipes? I love it when someone actually tries the recipes and gives a review - I am much more likely to try a recipe with a review than one without a review. Thanks in advance.

Lynne

False
    The recipes were in the Jan/Feb 2009 edition and are posted at http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Mostaccioli-Casserole-2 and http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Chicken-Cordon-Bleu-Bake.

I've posted a review of each.   Although I haven't used them from the freezer yet, I like that the recipes have instructions for how to use the frozen casserole (a copy of which I put in a baggie inside with the casserole.  By the way, a square aluminum foil pan fits inside a gallon freezer Ziploc bag.  The square pan also fits Foodsaver's 11" wide vacuum bag which is what I use.  I put the full pan in the freezer for an hour or two, then slide it in the vacuum bag and seal.  Freezing it a bit at first keeps liquids from being sucked out when sealing. 

Bobbi  

False

Well, phooey! I just tried to view the links you posted for the recipes. I was denied access as one has to be a "subscriber". That chicken-cordon bleu had, briefly, caught my interest. Sigh.

False

Here you go, Beverly. Enjoy!

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Mostaccioli Casserole

Ingredients:

• 1 package (16 ounces) mostaccioli
    • 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
    • 1-1/4 cups chopped green pepper
    • 1 cup chopped onion
    • 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
    • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
    • 3/4 teaspoon pepper
    • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided

Directions:

Cook mostaccioli according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, soup, Italian seasoning and pepper.
        Drain mostaccioli. Add mostaccioli and 1-1/2 cups cheese to beef mixture. Transfer to two greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
        To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake

Ingredients:

• 2 packages (6 ounces each) reduced-sodium stuffing mix
    • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
    • 1 cup milk
    • 8 cups cubed cooked chicken
    • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    • 3/4 pound sliced deli ham, cut into 1-inch strips
    • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
    • 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

Prepare stuffing mixes according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine soup and milk; set aside. Divide chicken between two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Sprinkle with pepper. Layer with ham, Swiss cheese, 1 cup cheddar cheese, soup mixture and stuffing. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese.
        Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
        To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

Dreaded double post
    False

Joan -- just discovered you posted the subscriber only recipes for me. Thank you so much. I had to google mostaccioli as I did not know what it was. (smiling)

Beverly

False

I'm still pretty new to this website.  Is is OK to post subscriber-only recipes?  I'm sorry for not helping out with your request, Beverly, but I didn't want to get "banned" because this website is very handy to have.

False

Yes, it is permissable to reprint the recipes that have a red plus beside them. Those are the subscriber only recipes. I've heard that eventually they may make all recipes accessible to everyone.
    Joan

False

Hi there,

I love to talk Freezer Pleasers Yes. Have you tried Three-Cheese Kielbasa Bake? It's a very good recipe and it freezes well. If you're stumped on the mystery (like I am Smile) of what types of ingredients or recipes freeze well check out my blog: The Freezers Pleasers Mystery. I've shared some 'clues' that we have discovered in the Test Kitchen. Plus, I'd love to hear from you, too! Let's try solve the mystery together.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Amy T. 

False

Amy T. -- Food Editor, Taste of Home Simple & Delicious magazine