oven vs slow cooker times | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

oven vs slow cooker times

Last post Oct 08, 2011 1:37 PM by Beema . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • oven vs slow cooker times

Hi ~ I found a delicious-sounding recipe for "Rolled Flank Steak" that is to be cooked in the oven.  I would like to cook it in my slow cooker, but do not know how to calculate the correct cooking time.

Lynn

False
  • Re: oven vs slow cooker times

Hi, Lynn....  I have been using a slow cooker for years, and I don't ever recall seeing a specific rule of thumb translating oven times to slow cooker times.  This has become more complex since the slow cookers now have both low and high settings.  My own opinion is that any meat product should be cooked in the slow cooker for no less that 5 to 6 hours on low or no less than 4 hours on high.

Hope this helps.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Hi Beema ~ I too have been using a slow cooker for many years & usually 7-8 hrs. will do the trick ~ was just double checking.  The slow cookers are wonderful in a motor home ~ I put ours on a heavy-duty appliance timer, go see a National Park for the day, come home & dinner is ready! ! !  The neighbors always ask "...what's for dinner..." as they can enjoy the aroamas  coming from our motor home.  Thanks for your input.

Lynn

False

Hi Lynn,

Here's some info we often use in our test kitchen.

* Before converting recipes, check the manufacturer’s guidelines for your particular slow cooker. Locate a recipe similar to the one you want to convert. Here's one you could use as a guide: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Flank-Steak-Roll-Up

Note the quantity and size of meat and vegetable pieces, heat setting, cooking time and amount of liquid.

* Since there's no evaporation, adjusting the amount of liquid in your recipe may be necessary. If a recipe calls for 6 to 8 cups of water, try starting with 5 cups. Conversely, recipes should include some liquid. If a recipe does not include liquid, add a 1/2 cup of water or broth.

* In general, 1 hour of simmering on the range or baking at 350°F in the oven is equal to 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high in a slow cooker. For more specific tips, see the "Cooking Times" list below.

Cooking Times
    1. If your recipe says to cook 15 to 30 minutes, slow cook on low 4 to 6 hours or on high 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
    2. If your recipe says to cook 35 to 45 minutes, slow cook on low 6 to 8 hours or on high 3 to 4 hours.
    3. If your recipe says to cook 50 minutes or more, slow cook on low 8 to 10 hours or on high 4 to 6 hours.

Hope this helps!
    S&D Editors

False

Wow....  this is wonderful.  To finally see something in writing from the Experts!  Thank you so much.  This is going to be posted on the inside of my kitchen cabinet door, where I have other such vital and often used information. 

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.