To Mom…with Love | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

To Mom…with Love

Last post May 14, 2012 10:34 PM by MarineMom_texas . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • To Mom…with Love

They say the best way to show a mother your love and appreciation is with something homemade and from the heart. Tell us, what's the best (or funniest) homemade gift you've received from your kids, hubby or family.

False
    Sharon Selz
  • Re: To Mom…with Love

Sharon...  too many to count, too many to post here, but just a few that stand out in my mind as being something that I can share. 

My first child, Will, is no longer living so his gifts to me are more significant in that there will be no more from him.  He gave me a night blooming cactus plant, just about five inches tall, in a coffee can, that he had found in on the edge of the alley behind the house next door.  He planted it for me, and we watched it grow, year after year, until it became more than 20 feet tall, and the year after he passed away, there were 135 blooms on that cactus.  They look like trumpets, all white, and only bloom at night....  once the sun comes up, they fold up.  They are never supposed to open again, but that year they did.  It was June 19...  my birthday. 

My second child, Emmy, found some artistic talent, unique unto her, and she always drew her own cards to me...  the special one that I have framed and is hanging in my outdoor kitchen is supposed to be me, working in the garden, with all sorts of plants with smiling faces, and small squirrels, birds, raccoons, and even snakes, all happily playing in my garden.  She captured my love of all living things and my love of playing in the dirt in that one little picture.  A treasure.

My youngest, Jenny, challenged to "make something" in her home ec class in middle school, decided to make me an apron.  It is still my favorite, after 40 years.  We won't tell anyone that it had to be taken apart three times before she got it right.  That insured that love was in that apron.  I wear it every Thanksgiving while preparing dinner for her family and all the others.

But, the funniest, by far, and most memorable was when one who shall remain nameless brought me her most prized possession....  She was about two.  She came toddling into the kitchen, with her little hands outstretched, saying, "Momma, dis for you!...  I did my poopoo for you!"

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

I have three children,except they're not children anymore; Esther is 24, Timothy is 21 and Stacy is 16. I'm not sure how old Esther was but she made me a cookbook- that I still have,though it is falling apart; Timothy was 6 and gave me a homemade coupon for "1,000,000 cookbooks"on Valentines day and Stacy was in preschool when the teacher had each of the children say why they love their mom and Stacy said 'because she washes dishes in hot water'. I have these items as well. Another memory is of when Timothy was probably 3 at the pediatrician's office when she asked him what my name is. He responded 'mommy' to which the pediatrician then asked, 'What is her other name?' and he said 'Mom'. Finally, she asked 'What does your dad call her'? And he said 'Wife'! The very best gift I received was 2years after our divorce when the older 2 wouldn't talk to me for 2 years (their dad had said some untrue things and they believed him) was at Christmas they wrote Merry Christmas Mom on a card. So, you can see, I love being a mom and I love to cook and clean!
    False
    Jeannette Shields
    False
    Jeannette Shields
    I've received so many over the years that it's hard to pick just one. I especially love the homemade gifts. I still have them and treasure them from years ago.
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.