Cinco de Mayo | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cinco de Mayo

Last post May 09, 2012 5:53 PM by Beema . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Cinco de Mayo

Cinco de Mayo is this Saturday and it gives me another excuse to cook Mexican. I really love Mexican food and the fact that meatless recipes work so well into that cuisine. I have a favorite garbanzo bean tostado recipe but recently made veggie faijtas that both my husband and I loved. I just subbed in portobello mushrooms for flank steak. It was much more cost effective and really tasty. Do you have a favorite Mexican food?

True
  • Re: Cinco de Mayo

grew up eating it...my grandma learned how way back in the early 30's...so our family have been LOVING it since then....grandpa worked for Santa Fe railroad in the high desert of Calif....and there were about 20 families working there at that time....15 or so were from Mexican descent...the ladies each taught each other to cook their favorite foods....and grandma was a GREAT learner....lol

tacos, ground beef, steak and carne asada

tamale pie and tamales (husband makes them several times a year), beef and sweet corn are my favorites

enchiladas, cheese

tostados

chili rellano

rolled tacos

spicy carrots, steamed sliced carrots, 1 small jar of sliced jalapenos, 2 tablespoons vinegar and 1 tablespoon sugar.....steam the carrots till crisp tender...in a larger jar place vinegar and sugar....mix add in carrots and jalapenos with liquid...cover...and place in refrig....turning jar several times a day....let sit for acouple of days then ENJOY!!!!!  

just to name afew foods I love....

I could eat Mexican everyday!!!!  here some places also have sliced radishes and they taste great on a taco...just yesterday I had a taco and a side order of hot carrots from a place we love...Filibertos, they are in AZ, CA and NM....they make the best rolled tacos....

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

My son-in-law was born on May 5th, so you can imagine how this family loves Mexican/Cuban foods.  There is a difference, you know.  But, as far as foods go, there are a lot of similarities.  OLE!!

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

My older son was born on May 5, too! My best friend's son was also born on May 5 th, just a couple of hours after mine. They will both turn 43 on Saturday, and it's really amazing how parallel their lives turned out. And, yes, they both like Mexican food. Carole
    False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

would love to know how to make real  tamales ..sorry to say I have only had Canned makes me quiver to just say it ..can't go the Mexican resturant to get them cause I am afraid they will be to Hot can't really take it really hotBig Smile

Linda

False

tamales are NOT hot.....UNLESS they add really spicy chili peppers...and most do not...

check out this site....    www.makingtamales.com 

it's pretty easy....my husband does it in 2 steps...prepares the meat the first day....usually a good roast in the crockpot along with a sliced onion and 2 dried red chili peppers and abit of water....cook, cool and shred the meat...puree the liquid and add some back in to the meat to keep it moist...then the next day he does the rest....my favorite is the sweet corn...and that is SO EASY....while making the masa add in canned cream corn and chopped green chilis....

there are many many recipes out there....from meat to dessert...

our daughter is a vegan and she loves potato tamales...and SOYRIZO tamales (vegan sausage)

so check it out and give it a try...and ORDER one at a Mexican restaurant...give it a whirl...I like mine "dry"...that means still in the husk and no enchilada sauce on top....

False

Walk yourself strong!!

WELL the link will not work....of course....so in a search box on your home page and type in that address...

or try this site....we have her spreaders....they work great

www.mex-sales.com

False

Walk yourself strong!!

I could not get the link to work either  but will do a search never knew  they were simple so to speak to make..and I promise I will order one at a restaurant can't hurt to try It may be the sauce I am thinking is hot...I love mild salsa and guacamole...Thanks

False

the sauce is usually just red sauce...or mild enchilada sauce...or in some cases tomatillo (green) sauce...which is also not hot...99% of Mexican food is not hot....now we do LOVE a certain place we eat at that serves Habanero sauce....oh momma will that get your nose running...so oh so good...

False

Walk yourself strong!!

I lived 6 years in Mexico.   I learned to do Frijoles charros, refritos, guacamole, tacos y carne asada.   However, when I make it, it somehow does not taste the same.  I regret I never learned how to make tortillas and tamales.   I miss SO much my favorite food, and of course the people I met there... 

For me, eating Mexican food is going through memory lane... and getting nostalgic in the process.

False

Nelly

Our plans changed when my parents invited us over for dinner. She was thinking Cinco de Mayo as well and had a beautifully spread Mexican themed table. They made delicious pork, beef and shrimp fajitas with a grilled pineappple and avocado salsa. Yum! My daughter brought tamales from a Mexican grocery store near her home. We had three types of the "dry" tamales, pork, chicken and bean. I ditto that they're not hot in fact we douse ours with hot sauce or salsa. You can also check out the Taste of Home website for tamale recipes by typing tamale in the recipe search box. There is also a how-to tutorial for tamale making newbies. Thanks Shelley for the spicy carrot "recipe". Definitely want to make those.  

True

So many wonderful new ideas.  I cannot help but wonder if my Finnish mom didn't inherit some Latin blood along the way.  Maybe it is living in Tampa where this type of food is found in so many eateries and fine restaurants.  Ole !!

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.