Ever make your own noodles?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Ever make your own noodles??

Last post Feb 22, 2014 2:21 PM by MarineMom_texas . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • Ever make your own noodles??

The topic of making homemade noodles came up last week in the Test Kitchen with some of us thinking people would prefer to just buy noodles and not bother with making them while others thought the opposite. Years ago I made them frequently. I didn't have a machine but rolled them out by hand and hung them all over the kitchen to dry. It felt rewarding to know that I could make something  from scratch with wholesome ingredients. Using just a few pantry staples, they were cheap to make and that made it all the more attractive as a young mother watching my pennies. Have you ever made homemade noodles? Any of you have a pasta machine and do you use it? If you've never made scratch noodles, would you consider tying it?

True
  • Re: Ever make your own noodles??
    Yes, I have made pasta many, many times. I do have a pasta machine and love it. It is so easy to use that I used to come home from work (I am retired now) and make homemade spaghetti for dinner. Homemade pasta is delicious and takes only takes minutes to cook. Joan
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

Yes, I have made homemade noodles.  I would make them more frequently if I could duplicate my grandma's creamy noodle bake.  (Possibly boiled in homemade chicken broth, and baked.)  Her creamy noodles would barely make it around the table.  Smile

I have a vintage hand held noodle cutter, and Marcado Atlas pasta maker with a ravioli attachment. (My grandma only used a rolling pin and a sharp knife.)

~~Vicki

False

Mom always made homemade noodles.  It was fun to watch her roll up the flatten and partially dried noodle cakes and cut them with a knife and when she wasn't looking my sister and I would snitch some.  After I married I made them the same way for years until Dad got Mom a pasta machine for Christmas one year and since I tried that I have only make them that way.  In august my youngest son and wife came home with some of their pullet eggs and I showed them how to mix up the dough and we made a batch.  He had always helped me when he was home but his wife had never made them.  My sons always helped me use the pasta machine and of course the youngest one and my DH husband were helping one day and they got tired of cranking the machine so they fixed it up so they could use the drill to run the handle. ( It took longer to get it rigged up than the actual cranking but they had fun doing it)lots of mess but good memories.

Nancy

False

MY! I haven't made homemade noodlesby hand  for years. We seldom have noodles around the house except for haluski. I do make a homemade pot pie that someone might consider it to be a big square noodle. I have even thought I should make a bunch of rivels for a good winter day of chicken rivel soup.

False

I have to admit, I'm really surprised with the response. I was expecting the interest to be low. Lori G. put this out on Facebook and we had a great response with many who had made them or would like to try. As we look at future content for the magazines, it's good to know where our reader's interests lie. I'm still looking for more responses. Haven't heard from you Beema. 

True

Yes!!!!  Yes

I have made them "forever"!! Used to make them regularly when everyone was home. We always had them as I grew up. When I left home (for the city life) I found a cookbook at the Grocery store with the recipe just like I grew up with (of course I still have that tattered cookbook). I always cut them by hand until I got a PastaQueen several years ago.

False

Nothing compares to home made pasta.  My grandparents made it often growing up, but living in NY, we had access to fresh pasta from the pasta stores, too.

I took a pasta making class a few years ago because you really have to have someone show you what the dough is supposed to feel like when it's correct.  It's hard to get that from a book.

I also have the Kitchen Aid pasta attachments (both the resin and the stainless steel sets).

It's a lot of work and it helps if you  have a second pair of hands when it's time to roll it out or making raviolis.

Since I'm single, I don't make it often as even frozen, it doesn't keep long or taste as good defrosted. 

False

Music Cookie baker and cake decorator Music

I have never made homemade noodles but would like to learn how.  I would love to learn to make  the egg noodles and pasta noodles.  I do not have a machine but do I need one?

False

Welcome, Alwaysachild! 

Candykisses has posted a couple recipes with homemade noodles which rolled out by hand and cut with a knife.  The noodles should dry for a few hours before using.

~~Vicki

False

CHICKEN AND NOODLES by candykisses_Oklahoma

Serves: 6
    Source: LaDonna
    Effort: average
    Comments: I love making up a huge batch of these and taking to family get togethers. It's one of those good comfort foods.

I also like making these using my wheat blend flour. The ratio for making the wheat blend flour is 4 c. white all purpose flour to 3 c. whole wheat bread flour. Mix well, store in airtight container in the fridge

Ingredients:
    1 chicken, boiled, skinned, deboned & diced (save broth)
    Seasonings:
    salt
    pepper
    chicken seasoning plus, optional
    season salt
    noodles

Noodles:
    2 eggs, beaten
    4 tablespoon milk
    2 teaspoon salt
    2 cup flour-add more if needed to make stiff dough

Roll out very thin on floured surface
    Let dry 30 min.
    Roll up-cut thin strips
    Spread out in thin layer.
    Let dry several hrs.
    Refrigerate or freeze

Instructions:
    Bring broth & chicken to a boil. Add seasonings and noodles. Bring to boil. Let cook about 20 min. Taste & season to taste.

"Experience is yesterday's answer to today's problems"
    False
    False

CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP by Candykisses

Serves: 8
    Effort: average
    Comments: This recipe was made up by LaDonna. I love fixing this when one of us has a cold. Just seems to make us feel better.

Ingredients:
    1 chicken, cooked, skin removed & deboned (save broth)
    2 c. celery diced
    1 c. onion, diced
    3 c. baby carrots, diced
    1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen corn
    1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen peas
    2 t. minced garlic
    seasonings to taste (I use salt, pepper, season salt & chicken seasoning plus)
    8 c. chicken broth (use what you saved above)
    Enough water to fill dutch oven to almost full

2 egg noodle (recipe below)
    I also like making these using my wheat blend flour. The ratio for making the wheat blend flour is 4 c. white all purpose flour to 3 c. whole wheat bread flour. Mix well, store in airtight container in the fridge

2 egg noodles:
    2 eggs
    4 T. milk
    1 t. salt
    2 c. flour (sometimes you need a little more)

Beat eggs, milk & salt together. Add flour to make a stiff dough.
    Roll out thin on floured surface. Let set for 30 min.
    Roll up the slice into very thin slices.
    Put out on wax paper & let dry several hours.
    This can be done ahead of time. When dry just put in airtight container & refrigerate or freeze

Instructions:
    In the chicken broth add: celery, onions, baby carrots, & minced garlic. Simmer until vegetables are good & done 2 hrs. Then add diced up chicken, peas & corn. Adjust seasonings according to your individual taste. Let simmer another 30 min. Add water to this when needed.
    When this is boiling well, then add noodles, stirring often. Noodles should be done in about 20 min.
    Serve hot.

"Good character like good soup, is usually homemade"

False

On a recent episode of Martha's Cooking School on PBS, she did a whole lesson in pasta/noodle making.  Hopefully you can catch it on re-runs.  She did a good job of explaining how to make the dough (she did it in a food processor her guest chef did it by hand) so you can see it both ways.

False

Music Cookie baker and cake decorator Music

I haven't made noodles but my brother keeps urging me to try.  Our grandmother made them fairly often.  You'd walk into her kitchen & every broom or mop handle would be between the backs of 2 chairs & loaded w/noodles drying.  I know she'd have a pile of flour on the table w/a 'well' in the middle for eggs & liquid & then she'd mix it by hand until it was 'right'.  Every Sat. morning she made yeast dough for whatever fruit was in season for coffee cakes.  She also made wonderful (but big & heavy) bread dumplings too.

False

This is very nice.

False