Quilted Christmas ornament | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Quilted Christmas ornament

Last post Jan 12, 2010 4:16 PM by Weleetka . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • Quilted Christmas ornament

Does anyone have the instructions for the beautiful quilted Christmas ball ornaments?

False
  • Re: Quilted Christmas ornament

Which version are you looking for?  I've seen ornaments made w/the stained-glass window pattern, I've seen a styrofoam ball w/material tucked into it to form a quilted-looking ornament - there are lots of version...could you be more specific?  Is it more 'country' looking or victorian, crazy-quilt, etc.

False

The one I'm looking for is the styrofoam with material tucked in!  Thanks!!!!

False

Hi, Moseley, and welcome. Was it an ornament you'd seen in CW?

False

I tried looking in google (I may of typed in too many words)...couldn't find anything but I think I remember them being pretty simple.  Styrofoam ball, little pieces of cotton material in Christmas colors/prints...then tucking or pressing them into the ball using a butter knife or fairly dull blade of a table knife.  I think you just start pressing the edges into the ball.  I'm not sure if there's any glue or fray-check that helps hold it together.  Hopefully, someone who's made them will respond.  Or else go to your library & check out Christmas craft books. 

False

Great suggestions...Thanks!

False

I made one or two when DD was younger.  We used an orange stick.  No glue.

Aleida

False

We used to do them with our jr. high kids when I was teaching 30 years ago.  Great way to use up some of the smaller scraps.  We just used seam rippers to press down the edges.  Once you get going, you'll find they're pretty easy.  You just have to cut each fabric piece so that it roughly fits the space you're working with.

False

Hi.  I think this is what you are looking for.  sara

http://www.betterbudgeting.com/christmasornaments/fabricscrapball.htm

False

I remember making these in 3rd grade (In like, 1970!!!). it seemed like we cut small circles and/or triangles, we used the knife to tuck 1 side into the styrofoam ball , (3 sides per piece of fabric, so each fabric is in the shape of a triangle) till the whole styrofoam ball is covered with beautiful triangles of fabric. I don't know the specific measurements  for the fabrc, but I believe they were cut in circles (less threads sticking out). Then we used the most beautiful velvet  and/or gold/silver cord for the hanger. I forgot about those-- who ever you are, you jogged a great memory for me today--
    False

"Practice random acts of kindness"

Here is a great website that sells a different kind of "quilted" ornament. Have them in all sorts of themes. check it out  http://www.ornamentboutique.com   

False

oh this is really cool...it would be a great activity to do with students during the holiday season... 

False

False

Heres another good web site that I like better then the first one I gave you.

http://www.crafts-for-all-seasons.com/quilted-ball-ornament.html

Tommy

False

I Have a Pattern for a quilted ornament. I think this is what your looking for. et me know if this is what you arelooking for, I can also send it to you by email if you would like, in emai it will show pictures. I Hope I was some help! Have a great eening... Tina H

Quilted Ball Ornament

Quilted Ball Ornament You will need:
    • 1 3 inch Styrofoam ball
    • 16 2.5 inch square pieces of 3 different fabrics
    • 1 foot lace or ribbon
    • Lots of straight pins with flat heads
    • Hot glue
    • Ribbon or sting for a hanger 28 8mm beads (dress)
    Instructions

1. Begin by selecting the fabric that you want to be the center of the design. Place 2 squares wrong side together and pin to the ball at the four corners
    2. Crease a third square in half ( side out). See diagram 1Diagram 1. Open it up and place a pin from the wrong side of the fabric through the center of the square. Pin this to the center of the square on the Styrofoam ball.

Diagram 23. Now fold the 2 corners of the rectangle down to the opposite edge. See Diagram 2. Place 4 pins along the bottom edge. See Diagram 3. Turn the ball 90 degrees.
    Diagram 3

Diagram 4 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 three more times to form Diagram 4. Some of the backing square will show through that is ok.

5. Find the the opposite side of ball and repeat steps 1 through 4.

Diagram 56. Pick your second fabric. Continue with the same folding pattern but start the second row approximately 1/2 inch out along the center lines of the first row. See Diagram 5.

Diagram 67. Once the 4 main pieces are down. Begin placing the pieces on the diagonal. Place the point of the fold on the imaginary line between the 2 pieces that have been already placed. See Diagram 6

8. Flip the ball over to the other side and repeat steps 4 and 5.

Diagram 7 9. With the final fabric repeat steps 4 through 6. See Diagram 7.

10. All of your pieces on both side should meet around the center of the ball. Hot glue the ribbon around the ball so that it hides the unfinished edges and pins. Make a hanger out of ribbon or string and secure it to the ornament with pins or hot glue.

False