Cross stitch frames | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cross stitch frames

Last post Jan 24, 2011 11:51 AM by Linda L Hoffmann . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Cross stitch frames

Both my mother and I love to create cross stitch Christmas ornaments to give as gifts each year.  Unfortunately, we can no longer find the frames we use to finish them.  They were made by the Westex Corporation, which has been sold.  The frames we need are round 2 and 3 inch gold frames that come with a back and a clear plastic front to protect the cross stitch.  If any readers have any they would be willing to part with, I would love to hear from them!

False
  • Re: Cross stitch frames
    did an online search and couldn't find them either.....how about instead of frames you make a flat ornament....do your stitching.....cut backing and some warm and natural batting and make a ribbon loop......layer the top, stitching facing down to the warm and natural with the ribbon loop tab hanging above the edge of the fabric and layer on the  backing, pattern facing down...sew up leaving a small opening to turn inside out, clip any edges that might need it...turn inside out and whip stitch the opening closed...and the ribbon should pop up top ready for hanging...
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Thanks for the suggestion!  I'm not much of a seamstress (I was ever so big going to be a big shot-lawyer and buy all of my clothes; I'm a teacher insteadSmile !), so I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to warm and natural batting.  What exactly is that?

Thanks again,

Ellen

False

warm and natural (name brand) is thin quilt batting...comes in white and ecru....and would look good sandwiched between the front and back of the stitchery....and that way you also would not see the stitching from the back, I try and keep the back looking as good as the front...but sometimes it's not possible...LOL...most fabric stores and quilt shops carry it, and there are other brands...and you most likely would want to use thin batting...so the ornaments would lay flat...

and sewing would be easy....all straight stitches and you could even do it by hand if you couldn't use a sewing machine....

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/itemdetail.pl?item=021-0307

Is this it?

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
    I am looking for these also!! Did you find a source? The ones shown on 123stitch look like they are nothing but the frame; no back or clear plastic front.
    False

I think I have some of the frames, if you can be patient with me to find them.  I have such a stash of cross stitch supplies and I don't do much cross stitch anymore, and I just have to locate them.  E-mail me when you get this message at trent569@aol.com

False

I have used fusible interfacing on the back of cross stitch projects.  They iron on so no sewing skills are required.  I overlap the interfacing on the back by 2 or 3 inches so that when it is cut out, the interfacing is still on the back and keeps the edges from fraying.  I have also used self-sticking felt on the back of Christmas ornaments, using ribbon to make a loop at the top.  I have found the self-sticking felt at Michael's and Wal Marts that have a craft dept.

False

Hi,

I say your post about frames. I also am an avid cross stitcher and get many of my supplies on ebay. I see the little plastic frames all of the time. I don't know that they have a sheath of clear plastic to cover the stitching though. Another idea would be to use double stick tape and either mount directly to a foamie shape premade or one you cut out, and  gluing a loop of ribbon for a hanger or using the same method use cardstock and hole punch the top for a ribbon hanger.

False

I am also looking for the mini cross-stitch frames with backs, that Westex used to sell everywhere

- Walmart, craft shops, Big Lots. Now, they are nowhere to be found...not even at JoAnn.

I am thinking about trying the 123 stitch website....some they show are snowflake-shape. I wonder why

even sell those without backs...that makes no sense at all, to me. Too, Joann still sells the mini pattern

books...but without selling frames, what's the point???

False

Ellen -

last year we were making Chrismons for our church and I was able to find these frames at both craft shops "A.C. Moore" and "Ben Franklin Crafts".  I think that both of these companies have on-line stores if you don't have one close to you.  They ran about $3 for a package of three and was able to get round, square and heart shapes.

mamajack

False
    Ellen,

Have you thought of going with a more "country" feel and using the small wooden hoops that you cross stitch in? they have the little screw on top, you can tie a ribbon to, and trim the back down, cover with paper or card board and then add lace around the edge? I do candle wicking and use this method to finish and it is quite lovely.

False
    Lord, let me be the person that my dog thinks I am.

mamajack
    Chrismons for our church and I was able to find these frames

mamajack,

I was wondering if thr Chrismons were cross stitch, or something else.  I am always on the look out for nice ornaments for our own tree.

Thanks,

Mary Beth

False

glad to know I'm not the only one would love to have thos little gold frames back.  I bought a ton of those a couple of years back.  I'm now out of the 2-inch and 3-inch round frames.  I have left heart-shaped, star-shaped, and square.....and those don't fit everything.  this year for Christmas, I'm trying perforated paper.  First time I've ever used it.  wish me luck!!!

Micki

False
    Click for Cancun, Mexico Forecast

Hello Ellen,

I am now in the situation you were in last year - I am looking for the little gold frames for embroideries I make as gifts /craft show sales.

I had some from previous years but now running out - they no longer stock them at Michaels - I was wondering if anyone came to your rescue or you have since found an alternative solution?  Right now I need the 2" squares.

False