pig picking cake | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

pig picking cake

Last post May 23, 2010 3:55 PM by dfox4316 . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • pig picking cake

need the recipes for pig picking cake please

False
  • Re: pig picking cake

Here you go.  My family loves this cake.

Pig Pickin Cake

1 Duncan Hines Butter Cake mix
    1 sm can Mandarin oranges with juice
    4 eggs
    1/2 C Crisco oil

Mix together and bake at 350° in a 9x13 pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Topping
    1 lg can crushed pineapple drained
    1-8 oz Cool Whip
    2-3 oz pkg instant vanilla pudding

Mix all ingredients together and put on the cooled cake. Keep in the refrigerator.

False

Bump

False

This is the recipe I have used for over 30 years. Almost identical.

Pig Pickin' Cake

1 box butter cake mix
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup cooking oil
    1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges, undrained
     Frosting:
    1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip, thawed
    1 box (5 oz.) instant vanilla pudding mix
    1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained

Combine all ingredients and beat for 3 minutes on medium speed. (See
    instructions on cake mix box for beating).  Pour into 3 greased and floured 8
    or 9-inch cake pans and bake at 325° until done (See baking times on box).

Mix all frosting ingredients together and frost cooled cakes.  Keep in
    refrigerator.
    Serves 12.
    Note: You can use a 9x13-inch pan but the three layers is so impressive.

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

This sounds delicious, and I'm going to make one, but why is it called Pig Picking Cake?  lol

False

CookingImpaired

why is it called Pig Picking Cake?  lol

Good question. I've had this recipe for over 30 years and have no clue why it is called that. I guess because you keep picking at it like a pig (you can't stop eating it). It is sooooo good. You do have to keep it refrigerated.

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

Thanks for reminding me-a fresh tasting cake that is called Pig Cake here because you make a pig of yourself 'cause it is so good!  Going to make it for Easter.

False

I did a little research about Pig Pickin' Cake. Apparently,this cake has commonly been served as a yummy dessert at "pig pickin's," a colorful term in the South for a party featuring a barbecue (often a whole hog). Has anyone hosted or attended a genuine Pig Pickin'?

False
    Sharon Selz

I just thought I would share with all of you that I have used the recipe for this cake for about 80% of the wedding cakes that I made over the past 19 years.  This seems to be an all year favorite for most brides as it is a moist, light cake.  Of course I cannot use the frosting recipe for wedding cakes.  I use a French Buttercreme recipe that I got from my local cake supply store.

When I make this cake for my family I always use the frosting recipe that comes with it.  One word of caution, be sure to check the mandarin oranges for seeds.  I have found that every once in a while there are some that still have seeds in them.

False

I made this cake yesterday and took it to work today.  OMG those women went crazy for it!  I have to say it was better than I thought it would be and I thought it would be good. 

False

This also freezes well.  My oldest grand-daughter and I love it when It is not completely thawed.  This is the only cake she likes.  Enjoy!!

False

Do you mix the mandarin oranges in with the batter or do you layer them in between layers?...the recipe didn't say. But it sounds great!

False

"Practice random acts of kindness"

budz mom

Do you mix the mandarin oranges in with the batter or do you layer them in between layers?...the recipe didn't say. But it sounds great!

Yes you mix the cake mix, oil, eggs and the oranges all together.

False

How funny!  Yesterday I was looking through a Paula Deen cookbook for rhubarb recipes (there are none), and I saw this very same recipe.  I wondered about it, and then here today, I see that someone has reviewed it for me.  Why should I be surprised that a TOH person has already thought to review it for me?

Way to go TOH friends!!!!   Thanks so much!

False
  • Re: pig picking cake and parties

Regarding the 'Pig Picking Cake', around here it is called the 'Pig Licking Cake' because it is so good, that you make a 'pig' of yourself, and then even 'lick' the pan clean.

My recipe is the same as the one using the DH butter recipe yellow cake mix and the 4 eggs. The frosting recipe is the same, also. I have used this recipe since 1980.

Someone asked about 'pig-out parties', more or less. Well, this area of western Kentucky is famous for its bar-b-que, so our pig-outs usually serve hickory smoked barbeque, cabbage slaw, and good old hot sauce - not the vinegary one, a thick cooked down version, and every one has their own special addition, whether it is extra brown sugar, spices, or the real hot sauce and cayanne pepper! Then of course potato salad, and for dessert - what else! Pig Licking Cake.

Rosemarie1

False
    Rosemarie1 Rosemarie Randolph