What do you do with your surplus of garden tomatoes? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do you do with your surplus of garden tomatoes?

Last post Aug 05, 2012 7:52 PM by MarineMom_texas . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • What do you do with your surplus of garden tomatoes?

Last week I picked my first ripe, juicy tomato of the season. Really nothing can compare to the taste of a homegrown tomatoes but my DH was less than enthusiastic and said it tasted like a tomato. OH well. The perfect red orb was just large enough to make our first of the season BLTs. Soon I'll be picking more tomatoes than I know what to do with and freezing the surplus. I also love to use my tomatoes in homemade tomato soup. One of my favorite soup recipes is this Roasted Tomato Soup from TOH http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Roasted-Tomato-Soup-with-Fresh-Basil It's so easy and tastes like it came straight from the garden. What do you do with your surplus of garden tomatoes?

True
  • Re: What do you do with your surplus of garden tomatoes?

Our tomatoes our just starting to produce more than we can eat, (not sure there will be enough to can this year) so we give away to anyone that needs them.  If I can't give them away and have too few to can I lay them on a cookie sheet and freeze them until I have enough to do a batch.  Then I can tomato, spaghetti, pizza sauce, whole tomatoes and lots of salsa.  I have never roasted tomatoes so I will go to the TOH website and try them and the tomato soup since that is one our favorites.   Nancy

False

Just this evening we sold 28lb of tomatoes and I still have about 20lbs of grape tomatoes and 5lb of cherry tomatoes. I've just about canned all I'm going to can. We had some 5 tomatoes that weighed 2lbs each but had some bad spots. I slipped the skins and froze 6 packed full quart bags. I've still got about 20lbs of medium size tomatoes will be cooked and canned into salsa. A young lady from church is interested in learning how to can salsa, so since I have all of the equipment, I'm going to teach her. Accomplishing 2 things, sharing God bounty and fulfilling stewardship. The old shall teach the young.

False

It is great that you are passing the canning tradition on to the next generation.  Sure there are books about canning but the hands on approach can't be beat.  It always goes faster when there are more than one pair of hands and more enjoyable.    Nancy

False

What surplus of tomatoes.  Here in KS. most gardens are burning up.  We just came back from SW KS and with irragation they don't have very good looking crops.Sad

False

When~~ The tomatoes are plentiful, I can and freeze until they are all used up. I make spaghetti sauce, stewed tomatoes, salsa, a vegetable blend that is sort of like a v8, chili sauce, pizza sauce, and freeze whole tomatoes. When they are still green and the frost is coming, I will bring some in and store them to turn red throughout the early winter months. The rest get turned in two different  chutney's to be canned and used later.

BUT!! It has been many years since the tomatoes have been plentiful. This year is the worst year for tomatoes. I thought last year was bad. But this year takes the cake of them all. The tomatoes look nice on top. But once you pick them they have a dry rot that also is like a p u s in them. Even if you bring them in looking fine, the p u s appears then in them. A friend  (a farmer equipment and produce dealer) told me I am not alone in them being rotten and not good in taste. That several people are experiencing the same delema.

I will be thankful for what ever bounty I do put away and what ever I can get blessed with this season. Canning is one of the staples in this household. And the tomatoes have been hard to put away for the last several years.

False

Actually, we didn't have a huge surplus but at one time I had more than we could eat. I cooked them down and froze them in two-cup increments so I could pull them out of the freezer and use the same as canned tomatoes. Nothing tastes as good as a home-grown tomato.

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.