April/May Issue | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

April/May Issue

Last post Jul 30, 2012 8:46 PM by dhemm . 42 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 123
  • April/May Issue

The April/May issue is in the mail, and it’s filled with exciting ideas for spring. One is a build-your-own trifle bar. Set it up at your next get-together and watch how much fun guests have creating individual trifles like the ones on the cover.

Below are recipes for the three trifles pictured. Find more ideas in the issue on page 54. And watch this forum for more recipes and ideas from the April/May issue!

Kiwi-Pistachio Trifles
    --Taste of Home Test Kitchen
    Prep/Total Time: 20 min.

1 cup lime curd
    3/4 cup pistachios, chopped, divided
    4 cups cubed angel food cake
    4 medium kiwifruit, peeled, quartered and sliced
    1-1/2 cups prepared vanilla pudding

Spoon lime curd into six wine glasses or dessert dishes; sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon pistachios. Layer with cake cubes, kiwi and pudding. Sprinkle with remaining pistachios. Chill until serving. Yield: 6 servings.

Mandarin Trifles
    Prep/Total Time: 15 min.

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
    2 teaspoons honey
    1/4 cup dried papaya
    1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained

In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add honey; beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Place 1 tablespoon dried papaya in each of two cocktail glasses or dessert dishes; layer each with 1/4 cup whipped cream. Top with oranges and remaining papaya; dollop with remaining whipped cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.

Raspberry Lemon Trifles

Prep/Total Time: 15 min.

1-1/4 cups prepared vanilla pudding
    1/4 cup lemon curd
    3 cups fresh raspberries

In a small bowl, combine pudding and lemon curd. Spoon 2 tablespoons pudding mixture into each of four wine glasses or dessert dishes; sprinkle each with 1/4 cup raspberries. Repeat layers twice. Chill until serving. Yield: 4 servings.

False
  • Re: April/May Issue

That front cover looks awesome!!!!

Thanks for the recipes Love2cook!

Pehaps my issue wil be in todays mail!

Redawna

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

Just received it todaySmile.

Great article and recipes on JoanYes.

Thanks Bob.

Nancy

False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero

Received  my issue yesterday, looks like a good one. First one to catch my eye was the mexican cornbread. Looks yummy. Just want to say that it seems to come earlier than it used to, and that's a good thing as i'm in British Columbia and used to get it half way thru the issue- for example this one at the end of April, so that's a definite improvement. Jan.

False

I got my issue the other day. Can't wait to try the pizzas. My family loves pizza. Also got some good idea how to set up a mini pizza garden.

False

Click for Rock Springs, Wyoming Forecast

glutenfreern.blogspot.com

TOH field editor for Wyoming

I received my new issues and I must say!

I was very excited!!! It looks great! New and refreshing and was very interesting through and though! 

And looks like there might be a few less adds. I did not feel like every second page was an advertisement! Had a different feel this time!  Really enjoyed it!

Wonderful! Love the new issue!

Redawna

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

I received my Taste of Home magazine about a week ago. Have been perusing it's pages, a few at a time each evening. I found several recipes that interest me and the pictures were lovely though, to me, rather large. Examples, pages 34 & 55 and nearly all of them are this way. I think the picture could be about a third of the size shown and then there would be room to enlarge the print of the recipe for easier reading or adding another recipe.

Pages, such as 56 & 57 for example, though nice--to large--wasted space when the pictures seem to "shout" at me and no recipe on the pages.

White?! Some young person with excellent eye sight must have come up with that notion of white print on dark colors which makes the white print sort of pick up the hue of the colored page rendering the printed words almost invisible. Do away with the white print or make them bolder and larger.

False

red_savage1
    White?! Some young person with excellent eye sight must have come up with that notion of white print on dark colors which makes the white print sort of pick up the hue of the colored page rendering the printed words almost invisible. Do away with the white print or make them bolder and larger.

We've gotten several comments about the white type being difficult to read. These have been forwarded to our editorial team.

False

I love the new April/May issue, but I have one question. I wanted to read the rules for the dream kitchen contest where readers submit photos and information about their own kitchens. All I can find on the website  is a sweepstakes to win a dream kitchen. This is not the contest I was looking for. Can anyone help? 

False

I am a longtime subscriber of Taste of Home and over the last 20 years have ocasionally had subscription to other ToH publications and cookbooks.

I'm totally disappointed with the "new" Taste of Home.  The original premise of the magazine was that it was good food recipes from folks around the country who used your everyday common items from the grocery store. 

To me, the new magazine is nothing more than a rehashing of the advertiser's recipes from their websites.   It's basically all fluff and no content now.  The recipes are so basic, a 6 year old could make most of them.  Afterall, who really needs a recipe for a cut up fruit salad.  So my subscription is expiring shortly and will not be renewed.

Maybe somebody in the editoral staff will wake up and smell the coffee soon!

False

So sorry you feel that way jcpope. I guess you didn't see my field editor's menu in the April/May issue of TOH. None of my recipes are from an advertiser's website. They are all T&T recipes that I have been preparing for many years. None of the contest winners looked like they were from an advertiser's website, either. And, the one thing I love about TOH is that I can always find the ingredients in my grocery store. JMHO.

Joan

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

for this issue I was glad to see a recipe for me that is easy to make and it is on the second page of the april/may issue 2009.

It was very easily written, I deal with anxiety when cooking plus memory loss on cooking, but this is simple and that I am preparing that for my meal tonight, I got a late start today for my meal preparing and my family kept me distracted from cooking it earlier but what can you do.

False
    kathy nolan
    There is a typo or mistake in the directions for Chicken Saltimbocca. It uses 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves and 8 fresh sage leaves. However, the directions then indicate to cut a slit in each breast and fill each with (prosciutto and) 2 sage leaves. 8x2 is 16 sage leaves in my book?
    False

Sounds great. Can't wait to get it but think it will be a few weeks yet as I am in the UK. I wonder if I am allowed to send recipes or be a field editor? Maybe thats US only?

x

False

I have the same question myself!

False