Changes in Taste of Home magazine | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Changes in Taste of Home magazine

Last post May 26, 2013 4:28 PM by cookbookmom . 42 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (43 items) 123
  • Re: Changes in Taste of Home magazine

Add me to the list of people who will NOT be re-newing. I picked up a subscription recently after not having one for a several years. I did not even look at the magazine before I completed myt online offer, just figured that it was the same awesome magazing as it had always b een. Imagine my surprise when I flipped through it and saw all of the ads! I had to check and mke sure that I had not ordered the wrong magazine. This magazing has COMPLETELY lost it's country charm which is the whole reason that I loved this magazine! I have always dreamed of living in the country, on a farm, cooking these awesome recipes and this magazine USED to give me that wonderful homey feeling. I am so upset now I cannot even put it into words. I did some research on the net to find out what had happened and came upon this thread. Finding out that Reiman has sold out (literally) to Reader's Digest TOTALLY explained wht the magazine is horrible now. It completely has the feel of looking through a Reader's Digest issue. Now,don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with RD, but there is if I am expecting to see my down home country cooking magazing and instead get assaulted by all of those advertisements. I mean do you guys really need to put in full 2 page ads?? I understand that the bills need to be paid, but I am sure that there are better ways to do it that do not change the whole feel of the magazine. I am so very disapointed and like I said before, I will not be re-newing at all unless they decide to get rid of the Reader's Digest feel of the magazine.

False

And this is why you've lost your charm and lost your way. You're not just "trying something new," you've altered the format completely. You're attempting to appeal to a whole new audience -- while telling the rest of us that "we can't print the same thing over and over again."

I guess this is because you're not longer willing to look and search for recipes that appealed to your original Taste of Home base. This is sad, but not completely unheard of. Everyone wants to reinvent the wheel once in awhile -- and that is what is happening here. There was absolutely no reason to change. But you did it anyway.

I'm not sure how long my subscription runs for -- but it will not be renewed. Taste of Home has lost its way and burned up the roadmap that leads the way back.

False

billbird2111
     I guess this is because you're not longer willing to look and search for recipes that appealed to your original Taste of Home base

Taste of Home magazine is full of reader submitted recipes, just as it has been since its inception.  They don't search for recipes. They take the recipes that readers such as yourself submit to them, sort through them and then cook them several times in their test kitchen before printing them in the magazine.  If the recipe content of the magazine has changed, it's because recipe submissions have changed.  Taste of Home has changed the way information is displayed, but the basic information is still the same as it's always been.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I am wondering how the original TOH did so well without the need for ads, when you know Reader's Digest is making a mint from the ads they now run! Aren't we the readers enough to keep their coffers full without having to destroy so many pages of what once was really something good to look forward to??? Guess not.... 

False
    All things are possible but trust God for the best for you. -Karen Y.

I recently started taking Taste of Home Magazine after having had a break for several years.  I was shocked and disappointed to see the new format.  Where are the stories and recipes?  I have to hunt for them in the mess of adds and articles that seem contrived.  I expected to find recipes from other women around the country who are, like me, trying to feed our families good home cooked meals.  I loved the older format with the stories written by these women about their tried and true family recipes.  I will not be renewing my subscription but will hold on to all my old magazines for reference.

False

It's not only about the recipes submitted. Look at the magazine now compared to 10 years ago. The new version is trying too hard to be "slick and ultra-modern" to attract younger readership. The way they format the stories is completely different compared to the older issues. The original subscriber base to TOH just wants a magazine that isn't trying to make a young sophisticate out of them--just good, comfortable cooking. If we wanted the former, we'd subscribe to the fancy gourmet magazines.

There are enough field editors and forum moderators on this board that have most certainly read the MANY posts and complaints to this point over the past few years that it does no good to try to make us "original subscribers/readers" believe that we are offbase with our opinions on this topic. We're not fools.

False

It makes me sad to look through the newer issues. There isn't much I recognize anymore and the recipes are so gourmet and modern that it alienates the original Country cook.  I'm so glad I still have all of my old issues, for they are a true treasure now.

False

Now I'm wondering if they're mailing has changed, too.  I'm still waiting for my Feb/Mar issue, and February is just 2 days away!!!!

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

Carole... time to call Customer Service..... 800-344-6913... to get the status of your account.  This is way too late to be waiting for the Feb/Mar issue. 

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Hi, Cookbookmom - Yes, I am a Field Editor, totally volunteer, and yes, we do listen and we do channel your opinions to the powers that be.  But, let me just bring a few things to your attention.  Your post makes reference to "10 years ago..." which tells me that you been around for a while, and I am sure you and your family are not the same as they were ten years ago.... Everything changes, evolves. Thank heavens for that miracle of life. 

I just took a serious look at the most recent issue, Feb/March, and of the 68 recipes all 68 recipes were submitted by readers.  They are not "gourmet" per se, but they are the recipes being prepared by everyday cooks in kitchens across the country today.  The staff of Taste of Home have adhered to the basic tenet of this magazine:  'REAL FOOD FROM REAL HOME COOKS."   The recipes selected for publication would have to be different from the main stream or the magazine would be reprinting pot roast and fried chicken every month. 

New opportunities to explore new foods and flavors have opened up with the world becoming more of a global community, so we are finding more recipes with Asian or European influence.  If you consider this to be "gourmet" then, yes, every food magazine out there today is doing the same, because that is what America is eating today. 

Your comments are appreciated, and everyone connected to the magazine listens and learns from them.  Keep them coming.  And, please, submit your recipes - you may find your name in print !!

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Thanks for telling me to call them, Beema.  I don't know why I didn't think of that!!  Anyway, she said that I should have gotten it by now and they'll extend my issue for an extra month.

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

dont like the ads myself- at least the food ones were not to bad  but the vaginal cream ones... not tasteful!!!!!

False

Like many of you, I subscribed to these magazines "back in the old days", took a hiatus, and recently came back looking for the same magazine. It wasn't here. but after the initial disappointment, I'm gonna have to add my voice to the chorus of people who can enjoy the new issues. While I admit I don't like them quite as well as the older ones, I have noticed several good points.

As one of the Field Editors pointed out, there is a wider variety in ingredient use and cultural background in the recipes sent in now because Americans in general are branching out more. It also seems to me that the magazine, as a whole, has become more health-conscious. Many of the recipes are more time-conscious as well reflecting the fact that for many households to stay afloat, both parents have to work and can't necessarily spend as much time in the kitchen as they could before.

I certainly apprecitate this as I now have to balance cooking/housework and working fulltime+overtime every week. I am glad to be able to get great recipe and meal ideas that fit into my schedule. Even in the few months since I've begun resubscribing, the arrival of each new issue has become a major event.

Thus, I feel that, though the format and some of the features have changed, TOH has stayed true to it's roots as a magazine by normal people for normal people.

False

I agree with you, I have had a subscription since i was 12 and then I went overseas with the military for 4 years and when I came back I requested my free issue to get myself back into my favorite magazine and low and behold it was full of ads. I felt really disapointed and felt like they sold out. I do not subscribe to it myself anymore either. I just enjoy the website but there are so many days I miss just curling up with my magazine. I now get Woman's World. It is only $1.73 and has a few good recipes, I made my whole Thanksgiving dinner out of it, but I really enjoy it because there is no ads!

False

Desiree :)

So agree with you, Beema. I 'm afraid without the ads, we wouldn't even be able to get this magazine. It's a sign of the times and I'm still thankful for the magazine and that they put out the best possible recipes. I think it's good to keep in mind that almost all of them are submitted by readers like you and I. So, if you want to see certain types of recipes, why not submit them? Big Smile

False