Easy dessert for a crowd | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Easy dessert for a crowd

Last post May 15, 2013 3:31 PM by MarineMom_texas . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • Easy dessert for a crowd

I am dessert challenged as I don't bake very much.  I made this TOH "Slow Cooker Chocolate Lave Cake" for a combined Mother's Day and my DH's birthday.  It's from the  December/January 2013 issue on page 48.  Thank you Latona Dwyer; it was  beyond delicious! Our bowls were scraped clean! We had it with vanilla ice cream.  I put half of it in the freezer for our next celebration to avoid the temptation of eating it for dessert every day this week!!

With graduation and prom parties happening now, it would be a perfect no fuss dessert.  I made it in the morning using a 5-qt. oval slow cooker, checked it after 3 hours on high, and it was done. {Depends, I'm sure on how hot your high setting is on your slow cooker.} I took the liner from the heating element, removed the cover, put a towel over the top [to catch any condensation], and replaced the cover.  It sat on the counter for 2 1/2 hours before I served it at room temperature with the ice cream.  It easily spoons out, and the rest of it came out easily in one "chunk" by using a large spatula.  I put it in a plastic container and put it in the freezer.  Google search "told" me that after thawing and putting it in individual bowls, it should be heated for 30 seconds in the microwave.  I didn't think of it at the time, but I'm sure you could wrap individual portions and freeze them.

Next time I serve it, I will try our family's favorite combo...chocolate and strawberries.  So a scoop of the pudding, some fresh cut strawberries and some vanilla ice cream! 

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Slow-Cooker-Chocolate-Lava-Cake

False

AnnStar

• Re: Easy dessert for a crowd

Ann, what a wonderfully written review.  We need more comments like this.  I am sure to try this recipe, and like you, I rarely bake, but this doesn't resemble baking at all, which makes it appealing to me.  Thanks for bringing this recipe to our attention.Yes

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

• Re: Easy dessert for a crowd

annrms

It's from the  December/January 2013 issue on page 48.  Thank you Latona Dwyer; it was  beyond delicious! Our bowls were scraped clean! We had it with vanilla ice cream.  I put half of it in the freezer for our next celebration to avoid the temptation of eating it for dessert every day this week!!

Ann, thank you so much for your review. I saw this recipe in TOH and thought it sounded delicious. Just hadn't gotten around to preparing it. I'm so glad to know it turned out good. You served it just as I would have - with ice cream.  It is DHs favorite topping - LOL.

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.