What do you do w/ garbanzo beans? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do you do w/ garbanzo beans?

Last post Nov 14, 2013 10:00 AM by mamaknowsbest . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • What do you do w/ garbanzo beans?

What do you do w/ garbanzo beans?

I have about 24 cans of garbanzo beans I'd like to use. 

False

TOH field editor

• Re: What do you do w/ garbanzo beans?

I love garbanzo beans!  When I make Vegetarian Chili, I always put 1 or 2 cans in it.  Also good in stews! 

False

The World is a Book.  Those who do not travel read only a page.

Sprinkle with seasons & crisp up in the oven. The crispy beans are good on top of a salad
    False

Click for Rock Springs, Wyoming Forecast

glutenfreern.blogspot.com

TOH field editor for Wyoming

I make hummus!  It's easy if you have a food processor. 

2 cans garbanzos, drained but save some liquid

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 small onion, chopped

2-4 cloves garlic, chopped

1 teaspoon cumin, dash hot pepper

1/2 cup tahini (found in salad dressing aisle), stir to blend oil.

With the motor of the processor running drop in the garlic and onion and process until finely chopped.  Stop and scrape down the sides.  Add the beans, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, hot pepper and tahini.  Process until blended.  Add reserved liquid until you get the consistency you enjoy. 

Place in deep pie plate and garnish with:

1/4 cup each finely chopped red onion, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, orange bell pepper, Italian parsley.  [You can also mix this in.]  Serve with pita, pita chips or falafel chips.  I sometimes make a Guaca-Hummus dip...combine equal parts hummus and guacamole, canned black beans, diced tomatoes, and the onion, peppers, and parsley.  Add hot sauce to taste and serve with "hint of lime" tortilla chips.  This is a chunky dip!

False

AnnStar

LOVE garbanzo beans!!    I can eat them straight from the can, as a snack!    I also like them crisped in the oven with garlic powder on them.   My grandma always served a can of garbanzo beans as a topper for taco salad.  

One recipe I use them in a lot of Chunky Taco Soup.   http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chunky-taco-soup    I substitute a can of garbanzos for one of the cans of pinto beans... YUM!!

I also like to make hummus, and the kids like it, too.   I've never made it with the traditional tahini because it is pricey/hard to find around here.   This is the recipe I use.   You can get sesame oil in the Asian food section at Walmart, etc and it is a lot cheaper :)

1 can chickpeas, drained

2 Tbsp lemon juice

2 Tbsp Olive oil

2 cloves garlic, finely minced

1/2 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

3 Tbsp sesame oil

2-3 Tbsp warm water

Blend all in food processor until smooth.   Serve with pita chips, crackers, or veggies.

False

Randi..... Cooking, baking, cloth-diapering Catholic mama of 3 blessed miracles, wife to 1 handsome fella!

They are wonderful in almost any salad, straight from the can, drained and rinsed.  Add to pastas, soups, veggie and rice dishes.  You have a gold mine.. wow, where did you get such a windfall of 24 cans???

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

I make hummus too

False

I buy cases of fruits and vegetables at a time. Very nice in the winter!

False

TOH field editor

I make hummus and use them in salads....here are two of the very best recipes (in my opinion!) Of course, they're from the Taste of Home!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/roasted-red-pepper-hummus

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pasta-salad-plus

False

Becky

Taste of Home Field Editor

"It's not cooking if you're not making a mess."

I make a salad, drain beans, add diced garlic &some olive oil, sprinkle w/black pepper. & minced parsley.....it's just a nice little side ,you can also add some lemon juice  for variety.

False
    Another hummus. Janet
    False
    If you would have asked me two weeks ago my answer would have been humus or salads. NOT ANYMORE!!! Two weeks ago for the first time I made Flowerless Bean Chocolate Cake. Oh boy, it sounds crazy but it is AWESOME! I have made it 3 times since! Not a single taste of bean. It is the richest, darkest, moist cake you will ever eat. I have included the recipe below but if google their are a ton of variations from brownies to blondies. This one is quick and simple! ############Original recipe makes 1 9-inch round cakeChange Servings 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained 4 eggs 3/4 cup white sugar 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar for dusting Check All Add to Shopping List Directions Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Place the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds after the first minute, until chocolate is melted and smooth. If you have a powerful microwave, reduce the power to 50 percent. Combine the beans and eggs in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Add the sugar and the baking powder, and pulse to blend. Pour in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth, scraping down the corners to make sure chocolate is completely mixed. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan. Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.
    False

Add that one to the list to try Are they the same as chick peas?
    False
    Yes, they are the same thing. For the flowerless chocolate cake I have also used red beans. Somehow not as good but still great. Just tasted less chocolatey. Don't know how or why-- or maybe just our imagination! ---- Julie in Maryland.
    False