slow cooker | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

slow cooker

Last post Oct 02, 2014 11:46 PM by arelabs . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • slow cooker

I have a small 4 quart slow cooker. I am looking for recommendations on a 6 quart or larger one... possibly with a locking lid to be able to travel easily for potluck dinners. Can anyone help me? 

False
  • Re: slow cooker

I haven't  seen any major differences in the performance of the five slow cookers that I have.  One is a Sylvania, one is a Rival and the others are Crock Pots.  Find one that has a light indicating the settings, that has a Hold Worm setting, and most brands today do offer those with the locking lid. If price is a factor for you, I would suggest the middle price range.  The high end items seem to have more elaborate "décor" than functions.  Happy Shopping!

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

My new crock pot that stirs has a locking lid. The lid locks pretty tight. It has two cords, one out of the stirring unit on the top and regular cord. They plug together. Have fun shopping. 

False
    The crock pot one is ok except it boils everything, even on keep warm, it has to be every full to not boil really quickly. After doing some googling the new (any brand) slow cookers have a higher cooking temp now. The crock pot brand one works well but cooks way to fast and takes some adjusting of the recipes(like cook on warm instead when making a 8-10 hr recipe!!!) Just glad the ancient one in the cupboard still works better with recipes.
    False

If you're concerned about high heats see if you can find a brand that has the built in spoon rest. The slot for the spoon rest allows for venting and it doesn't cook as hot.

False

Lorri - Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor since June 2013

I have Redmond 4502 multi-cooker, google it. It’s a perfect combination of slow cooker, pressure cooker, steamer, bread maker…. It has 5L bowl, and I would strongly recommend to get multi-cooker instead of slow cooker. Price is relatively same, but it has much more modes in compare with simple slow cooker.

I shared here few receipts as well. In particular, everything you can do with slow cooker, and you make in multi cooker and much more. 

False
    I have several crockpots and I too just buy the cheaper no "bells and whistles" models. They all work good, but I use the ones with the hold warm feature most. You can make any crockpot a locking one by stretching a large rubber band from the lid to the each opposite handle (you need 2 rubber bands, lol!).
    False

And, don't put the rubber bands on the cooker until after it has been turned off, and I would recommend putting a dish towel over the glass lid before putting the rubber bands over the glass lid to keep the bands from melting or loosing elasticity from the heat.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Nothing works like the vintage Rival Crock Pots that came on the scene in the '70's.  Although most of the newer ones have a WARM feature that is nice, they are not really "slow cookers" anymore.  I have a few of the vintage ones, in different sizes, and I wouldn't trade them for anything!  One of them, I found at a nearby Goodwill store, and if it was used at all, it was gently used.  Sometimes, that is a way of finding one of the original ones.

The current slow cookers have wonderful features, like built-in timers, thermometers, and shift-to-warm features.  The problem is, they cook the food so quickly, it's hardly worth using them for all-day cooking on a work night.

One tip I would like to share is one that I used even in the 70's when I was gone ALL day and the cooking time didn't jive with the amount of time I was gone.  I used a simple lamp/appliance timer.  I refrigerated the contents of my slow cooker meal overnight, then set the timer to begin cooking at a set time (no longer than 2 hours later).  I also set it to turn off if I needed to end the cooking time before I got home.  The contents usually stay warm for up to an hour.  That was one of the best little gadgets ever for slow cooker timing.  Even now, IMO, it beats the built-in digital timers they come with now, because it makes one more thing that can go wrong with them in the long-run, and they are expensive. 

In all honesty, my advice would be to find one in the size that is most suitable, but one that is as  bare-bones as you can find.  Use my lamp timer idea if you're away all day while using the slow cooker, and you will be a happy camper. 

Arlene

False