slow cooker | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

slow cooker

Last post Feb 25, 2014 12:01 PM by lbroadh2o . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • slow cooker

I have a small 4 quart slow cooker. I am looking for recommendations on a 6 quart or larger one... possibly with a locking lid to be able to travel easily for potluck dinners. Can anyone help me? 

False
  • Re: slow cooker

I haven't  seen any major differences in the performance of the five slow cookers that I have.  One is a Sylvania, one is a Rival and the others are Crock Pots.  Find one that has a light indicating the settings, that has a Hold Worm setting, and most brands today do offer those with the locking lid. If price is a factor for you, I would suggest the middle price range.  The high end items seem to have more elaborate "décor" than functions.  Happy Shopping!

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

My new crock pot that stirs has a locking lid. The lid locks pretty tight. It has two cords, one out of the stirring unit on the top and regular cord. They plug together. Have fun shopping. 

False
    The crock pot one is ok except it boils everything, even on keep warm, it has to be every full to not boil really quickly. After doing some googling the new (any brand) slow cookers have a higher cooking temp now. The crock pot brand one works well but cooks way to fast and takes some adjusting of the recipes(like cook on warm instead when making a 8-10 hr recipe!!!) Just glad the ancient one in the cupboard still works better with recipes.
    False

If you're concerned about high heats see if you can find a brand that has the built in spoon rest. The slot for the spoon rest allows for venting and it doesn't cook as hot.

False

Lorri - Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor since June 2013