Remember "Sambo's" restaurant pancakes? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Remember "Sambo's" restaurant pancakes?

Last post Jun 30, 2009 7:43 PM by budz mom . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Remember "Sambo's" restaurant pancakes?

Was driving with my kids this morning and somehow the topic turned to the old "Sambo's"  restaurants, who had the best pancakes in the world.... does anyone have a recipe for them?  I know they used a mix but seems like some years ago I found a recipe, but at the time I did not save it (what was I thinking???) That is one tradition that should never fade away, they were too good...thanks!!

False

"Practice random acts of kindness"

• Re: Remember "Sambo's" restaurant pancakes?

I googled this.

Shades of Sambo's Pancakes

2 eggs, separated (whites in a clean copper, stainless steel or glass bowl [DO NOT USE A PLASTIC BOWL, NO MATTER HOW CLEAN YOU THINK IT IS!], yolks in an 8-cup mixing bowl with a handle)

2 tablespoons sugar

16 ounces biscuit and baking mix (about 3 loosely spooned cups)

2 cups milk (any fat content; we use 2/3 cup of nonfat dry milk and 2 cups of water)

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Heat electric griddle or electric skillet to 375 degrees F or heat a heavy skillet over medium heat while mixing batter.

Beat egg whites with a hand mixer on high speed to stiff peaks and set aside. Cream sugar and egg yolks at high speed until lemony colored (about a minute). Add milk and beat 2 more minutes on high. Add biscuit mix and vanilla extract, mix on low speed until just blended (barley-sized lumps of mix are OK). Scrape beaten egg whites into batter and gently whisk in with the mixer switched off (ditto). Let stand 5 minutes.

Pour onto heated griddle or skillet, cook about 3 minutes before turning. Cook 1 to 2 minutes on second side. Serve with real butter and hot syrup.

False

Dear Cookie- wow, you made that look REALLY  easy. I have been looking for ever fior this recipe. Now my kids can enjoy these great pancakes as I one had. My most sincee thanks--

False

Sambo's...budz mom are you talking about the Sambo's that (now so politcly incorrect) existed in the early 80's and had the sequence of panels of pictures of the little black boy with the tiger? WOW. We used to go there after bar-time! We ordered pancakes, we ordered gyros, we ordered cheeseburgers.I always thought this was a regional restaurant. What is your location? I am in SE WI.

Iris

False

iris- you are correct- we are talking about the same place...I am in Red Bluff, California (2 hours north of sacramento)....we used to have a Sambo's in a town called Redding,  just north of here, that is where I remember Sambo's pancakes from (weren't they just the best?) We made this pncake recipe when we camped at Shasta lake last weekend  and they were soooo good. Course my husband mixed the batter so  think mine would have been a bit fluffier!! LOL!! He is still a very good cook!

False