canning banana peppers | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

canning banana peppers

Last post Aug 31, 2012 3:00 PM by redcow . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • canning banana peppers

I need a good recipe to can banana peppers or banana rings-this is the first time i have tried this and I need all the help I can get..............my girls just love them and I would love to be able to do this for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,countrylpn

False
  • Re: canning banana peppers

Hi countrylpn!

This is thet recipe that I use.

Pepper Rings

Brine:

2 C. white vinegar

2 C. water

½ C. sugar

Tumeric (just a little bit, just to color brine slitely, or just omit)

Bring to boil.

Per pint jar (double if using quarts) :

1 clove garlic; 1 tsp. pickling salt; 1 tsp. veg. oil (if you want a dill flavor, you can also add a small head of fresh dill - I don't use)

Wash peppers and cut into rings, removing any seeds.  Place garlic, (dill) into sterilized jar; pack in peppers. Add salt and oil.  Pour hot brine over, leaving ¼" headspace.  Wipe rims, seal and hot water bath for 10 min.

My famly loves these on sandwiches.  They are kinda like the peppercini's you can get at sub places.

Enjoy!

False

photo ME_shells_Patti.gif

I haven't been on here for awhile.  Here is what I do with Jalapenos.  I think that it would work for Banana peppers also.

Wash peppers and cut into 1/4 inch slices.  I leave seeds.  Bring to a boil 3 cups white vinegar,

1 cup water, 3 tbsp. sugar, 1 tbsp. pickling salt.  Boil for 5 minutes.  Fill clean jars with peppers to 1/2 inch head space.  Add brine..Process 10 min. in boiling bath.  I use half pint jars.

False

I'm looking for a recipe for canning sweet peppers too but not pickled peppers. Any suggestions anyone?

False

my3sons61_WI

Hi countrylpn!

This is thet recipe that I use.

Pepper Rings

Brine:

2 C. white vinegar

2 C. water

½ C. sugar

Tumeric (just a little bit, just to color brine slitely, or just omit)

Bring to boil.

Per pint jar (double if using quarts) :

1 clove garlic; 1 tsp. pickling salt; 1 tsp. veg. oil (if you want a dill flavor, you can also add a small head of fresh dill - I don't use)

Wash peppers and cut into rings, removing any seeds.  Place garlic, (dill) into sterilized jar; pack in peppers. Add salt and oil.  Pour hot brine over, leaving ¼" headspace.  Wipe rims, seal and hot water bath for 10 min.

My famly loves these on sandwiches.  They are kinda like the peppercini's you can get at sub places.

Enjoy!

Thanks for this recipe - I have some banana peppers ready in my garden and this looks like a great way to use them!

False

Becky

Taste of Home Field Editor

"It's not cooking if you're not making a mess."

Hi!

I'm about to can my pepper rings using this recipe, but it doesn't say how many lbs./cups of pepper rings to use?! ">

False

Just checking back in to say that I used this recipe yesterday...have volumes of banana peppers and it looks like there's no end in sight just yet. Great recipe, great flavor. Thanks!

False

Becky

Taste of Home Field Editor

"It's not cooking if you're not making a mess."

countrylpn, this is the recipe I use to make in the days when I was canning banana peppers:

(These are sooo good!!)

PICKLED-STUFFED BANANA PEPPERS

(Be sure to where rubber gloves when cleaning peppers)

Whole Yellow Banana Peppers (as many needed to add to 1-quart jar)
    A Head of Cabbage (or more than one if needed)
    Slivers of garlic
    Heads of dill
    Thinly sliced onions
    Canning Salt
    5% white vinegar
    Whole Chili Peppers (optional)
    Whole Black Peppercorns (optional)

1. Wash; cut one end out of each pepper, and remove seeds. 

2. Rinse inside of peppers out.

3. Shred cabbage, and sprinkle with salt; let stand till wilted (about 3 hours).

4. Pack peppers with coleslaw, into sterilized jars, along with 1 or 2 slivers of garlic, 1 or 2 heads of dill, and some thinly sliced onions.

5. Add to 1-quart jar each: 1 tsp. canning salt, 1 tsp. salad oil, and 1/2 cup 5% white vinegar (be sure the vinegar is heated through, before adding to jar).

6. Fill the rest of the way with boiling water, and seal.

Note:
    Also, if you like, you can add 2 whole Chili Peppers, and 3 whole Black Peppercorns per quart jar.

False

you can make as much of the liquid as you need to cover the peppers.  just make sure you dont add the (cold) peppers to your hot sterilized jars.... add a little liquid first, then the peppers then top up with liquid

if you have different coloured peppers add them in layers makes a nice looking jar

Keep a tums handy- if you happen to get pepper juice on your skin. wet the tums and rub it over the burn- it really helps! now we wear gloves and goggles!!!

have fun

False

I wish I had seen this recipe last week.  I canned my Hungarian wax peppers on Wednesday.  My recipe calls for soaking the pepper rings overnight in salt water.  My brine is 10 cups vinegar, 2 cups water and 1/2 cup sugar.  I would like to try this version next year.  My pepper rings are on the soft side and are excellent in mashed potatoes and I used them to top my pizza.

False