Changes in Taste of Home magazine | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Changes in Taste of Home magazine

Last post May 26, 2013 4:28 PM by cookbookmom . 42 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 123
  • Changes in Taste of Home magazine

For some time I have been disappointed in the changes made to TOH, advertising, format, etc., but the May/June issue is the most disappointing of all.  Too much advertising, too many dessert recipes and too many wasted pages.  I have been a TOH subscriber for more than 11 years, but will not renew again!!

False
  • Re: Changes in Taste of Home magazine

I know how you feel.  It used to be that every page had great recipes and articles, now it feels like I am flipping through half the pages not even looking at them with all the advertising and such.  In this last issue I couldn't even find a recipe that I would make. This will be my last year subscribing after being a subscriber for at least 10 years.  It is very disappointing because it used to be a great magazine, oh well at least I still have all those years worth of back issues to keep me busy in the kitchen.

False

I agree with both of you.  I have posted my disappointed to the"changes" before.  , too, will not be renewing when the time come.  I also have years worht of the "good old" back issues to refer to.  I don't think we are alone!!!!

False

I completely agree. I've been skimming through the Apri/ May issue of Healthy Cooking and it appears that every third page has another ad. I knew this would happen when the editors began accepting advertisements. Such a shame. It seems like anything that Reader's Digest is involved with is loaded with ads. I won't be renewing either or buying the magazine at the retailers.

False

Back in the day of which you all speak, publishers relied upon their subscribers to foot the costs of creating printed matter for mass distribution.  Today, without the advertisers, you would not be able to afford to buy any publication, anywhere.  It is a rather sad truth, but nothing comes without a price tag these days.  So, like everyone else, it is your choice to make good decisions.  Most likely you don't put steak on your table as often as you used to, nor do you take two week vacations in the Virgin Islands....  times are tough all over, and survival means taking making prudent decisions. 

I applaud the editors for selecting "tasteful" (pun intended) advertisers, for being able to continue to produce excellent materials, with outstanding photographs of every recipe, and to promote healthy living on a budget, as well as outstanding recipes for everyday family meals. 

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Sorry, but I have to disagree.  I much prefer the new format.  The photographs are excellent, the recipes are interesting and challenging.  The advertisements typically are accompanied by a recipe or a coupon, which is a big plus from my perspective.

Until this change, TOH had become rather run-of-the-mill.  Same old recipes, same old articles, same old photos. It had become stagnant and boring.  How many different ways can you fix macaroni?  Even with the changes, the overall focus of the magazine is the same:  family meals, affordable ingredients, promotion of home and hearth, which is really the most important feature of all, wouldn't you say?   

Change can be viewed as healthy and stimulating, and in this case, I feel that it was a welcome change.  Overall, I think that TOH is the best food-related magazine out there, and I subscribe to or purchase many of the others.  Even if I weren't a Field Editor, I'd still subscribe.  PammieJ.

False

There's no such thing as "try". You either do, or you don't.

Pammy and Beema, I totally agree with both of you. I don't know of any food magazine today that does not have advertising. I think TOH has done a superb job of selecting their advertisers. I like to read many of the recipes their advertisers submit plus I always like to know what new foods are now available in the marketplace.

And, Pammy, I think you are right. I love the recipes and every month find new ones that my family loves. I also take Simple and Delicious and Healthy Cooking and give them an A+ for their recipes.

Of course, I realize we all have different tastes and our families have different tastes and if the magazine does not appeal to you, that is certainly your choice whether to continue or end your subscription. These are just my opinions about the magazines.

As far as I'm concerned, TOH, keep up the good work!!

Joan

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

I agree this latest issue is a huge disappointment. It's not so much the advertising - it's the lack of recipes I would even consider trying. I would prefer no ads and a smaller magazine. I think the magazine has long lost its country charm and perhaps that's what the publisher wanted to appeal to a larger audience.

False

It appears that it's only the field editors that are defending TOH.  The magazine has lost its charm and it is irritating to flip through all those ads (which are on almost every page now).  I would also prefer a smaller magazine with maybe a few ads only (if necessary).

False

This is just one of many threads regarding Taste of Home and how they have evolved over the years. There are many on the other threads who either like or dislike TOH and their format and many are Field Editors on both sides. Yes, both sides. I, personally, happen to like the TOH format whether or not I am a Field Editor - yet, maybe that's why I am a Field Editor. I am certainly not trying to push TOH down anyone's throat and feel that if you want to discontinue your subscription you have every right to and you have every right to your opinion. My opinion is that I do like TOH and I just "happen" to be a field editor. JMHO.

BTW, Robbie, kdwarren, born2, and Reddi, I notice you are new posters here to the website and would like to welcome you. I hope you will look around and join in on some of the other forums. There are lots of friendly, helpful people on these boards.

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

I am NOT a field editor. I really like the new format of TOH. My aunt had subcribed to TOH for years while I was growing up, but it always seemed a little old fashioned.

I grew up without being taught how to cook. I am in my twenties and it wasn't until I got married last year that I even attempted to boil water. So, I was really starting from the basics. I LOVE that TOH provides recipes that are easy to follow!!!

I apperciate that TOH has healthy articles and recipes. It's not all the fattening comfort food that used to appear in my aunt's magazines! The recipes really speak to my generation. In a word, TOH has become more 'hip'. I love cooking healthy but tasty options for my husband. I feel like I am really providing love in each dish.

I apperciate that TOH has to pay for itself by having ads. I think they have made responsible decisions and chosen appropriate ads. Many other magazines have ads that promote unhealhty weight loss techniques, cigerettes, alcohol, and inappropriate sex. It is my plan, starting with my husband, to build a healthy christian family. I believe TOH is appropriate to keep around when we start having kids.

Thank you TOH!

False

Hello all -- new poster here.

I wondered at the changes myself, but I have found I actually like this format.  Once I got used to finding the sections, I started cooking some of the recipes and I found them quite good.  I DON'T agree that it had gotten stale, but I think the new typography and new format may attract new readers.  At least I hope they do. 

I would like to see more of how some of these go into a meal, though.  I feel there are lots of individual 'items' and I would like to see more meals.  Maybe I'm just misinterpreting.  I would also like to see more along the lines of recipes suitable for one or two persons.  We don't have children and do not entertain too much so smaller is best for us.  Other than that, I really like the new TOH.

Yes there are more ads.  Lots more.  I also get annoyed at the use of all of the prepared items, but there is nowhere near as much in TOH as in other food magazines (some of them are fake food central).  However, that's where publishers have to get the money these days.  Too many magazines to which I was a subscriber have perished this year (Portfolio, Gourmet, and a whole bunch more).  If ads keep this magazine going, then I can live with them.

--Andrea--

False

AndyJo, and other new posters....  welcome and come by othen  .  There is a new thread, under the "recipes" forum, named Cooking for Two, a new thread starts every week.  We try to post recipes designed for two, and we talk about other issues facing the newly weds, newly singles, empty nesters, college kids, and others needing small sized recipes.  Join us.

And, at the very bottom of the home page, on this site, there are many links to specific interests, and Cooking for Two is one of them....  check it out. 

And, to the others, if the magazine doesn't suit your fancy, this web site has thousands of recipes, those posted by the site, and those posted daily in the various forums....  you can find anything you are looking for, with just a little patience. 

We are glad to answer your comments, welcome constructive criticism and look for ways to improve.  By the way, Field Editors are just like you....  we are not paid, we have a sincere interest in our homes, our families and cooking good food.  And, we spend a lot of our time volunteering our knowledge and foibles here at your beck and call. 

Thanks for your comments.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

I would agree. I've subscribed to Taste of Home since 1995. The magazine today is nothing like its roots.

The biggest problem is Reiman Publications no longer owns the magazine nor the trademark name. It has been taken over by Readers Digest -- and the takeover shows.

What used to be a collection of down-home Americana recipes (some would say heart clogging???) -- has been changed to "hip city lifestyle recipes." One never would have found a recipe for "Basil Sorbet" during the good old days. But old-fashioned chocolate ice cream? Oh yeah, a Taste of Home staple.

I will probably end my subscription too -- though I'm saddened to see this magazine change and alienate its core audience. It really had something going for a couple of decades.

Alas -- Taste of Home no longer. The title should be named to "Taste of Martha Stewart" or "Taste of the Hip."

Sad...

False

billbird2111
    ." One never would have found a recipe for "Basil Sorbet" during the good old days

No offense, but 20 years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of even tasting Basil Sorbet.  Now, I have a completely different view.  I'm willing to try new things & combinations.  Would I like it?  Probably not, I'm not a huge fan of basil - but my husband & daughter are.  However, I do like the idea of being exposed to something new now & then.  I've seen many, many chocolate ice cream recipes in 20 years.  You can only print the same thing so many times before people stop looking.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile