can too much baking soda taste salty? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

can too much baking soda taste salty?

Last post Aug 28, 2010 1:57 PM by Coryandme . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • can too much baking soda taste salty?
    I have an old family recipe for Blackberry Roll from my deceased grandmother and it calls for 4 tsp. of baking soda in it. The recipe tastes salty and only called for 1/2 tsp. of salt. I have never put that much baking soda in any other recipes. Any ideas? Thanks!
    False
  • Re: can too much baking soda taste salty?

Are you sure that it has baking soda in your grandmother's recipe?  All the recipes I found on the internet DID NOT call for any baking soda.  They called for baking powder. And 4 tsps seems like a lot of baking soda to me. Could it be 1/4 teaspoon?

Not knowing what other ingredients are in the recipe the above is my thoughts,

False
    Yes, that sounds like too much baking soda. I have to see the recipe, but it seems to me that it should be baking powder, which 4 tsp. still seems like a lot. If you remember that baking soda spreads and baking powder puffs, it will help you in the future if you are in doubt. Most cookies use baking soda, so the dough spreads a little. Cakes and quick breads use baking powder, so the rise. If you can post the recipe, I'm sure one of us will figure it out.
    False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

Another thought - does this recipe use sour milk/cream or yogurt? Then you would use baking soda BUT 4 teaspoons still seems like a lot of baking soda.

False

First of all, thanks for responding! Secondly, I am an idiot! I looked at the recipe again today and it says "baking powder". Jeepers! (I am so used to using baking soda that I just didn't pay attention.)  I wrote the recipe down when I was alot younger so it may be 1/4 tsp. but....I am sending you the recipe to see what you think.

Grandmother Trail's Blackberry Roll

2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 4 tsp. baking powder, 1 tbs. sugar, 1/3 cup shortening (butter or vegetable shortening), 1 well-beaten egg, 1/2 cup milk

Filling: 3 cups uncooked blackberries, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tbs. butter 

Sift dry ingredients, cut in shortening until mixture is like couarse crumbs. Add combined egg and milk. Stir only until barely moistened, turn out on floured surface. Roll 1/4 inch thick, brush with some melted butter. Spread dough with berries, sprinkle with sugar and dot with butter. Roll up as for jelly roll and seal edges with milk. (I have never been able to "roll" it up. It ends up looking like a meatloaf/cobbler? But tastes good!) Bake in shallow greased pan for 25 min. at 375. Serve warm with cream or vanilla ice cream.

False
    First of all, you are NOT an idiot. It happens all the time. Secondly, I would keep it at 4 tsp. baking powder. It sounds like a topping and you want it puffy and flaky. Sounds like a good recipe. Good luck.
    False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

Yes I think baking soda really does make a recipe tastes salty. When I try different recipes online which require baking soda,I only add about a half of what is required and they all taste good.

False
    Ruth Moore Loves salmon recipes

Baking soda is actually sodium bicarbonate so, yes, it can make things taste salty.

False
    Click for Cape Coral, Florida Forecast